- Category :
- Corporate / Senior Management
- Full Time
- General / Operations Manager
- Capable relationship-builder and facilitator
- Proficient verbal and written communicator with understanding of how to adapt communications for different audiences
- Ability to think and work both strategically and tactically
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and effectively
- Ability to reconcile different points of view and resolve conflicts constructively
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and innovate
- Ability to travel periodically (including to Washington, DC, if not based in the area)
- At least 10 years’ work experience and 5 years’ experience in project management
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in maritime or other safety-sensitive industry
- Experience in environmental stewardship and sustainability
- Experience in and facility with public speaking
- Familiarity with association management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with basic database management
The Director of Safety and Environmental Stewardship is responsible for leading and managing AWO’s work to promote the continuous improvement of safety and environmental stewardship throughout the nation’s tugboat, towboat, and barge industry.
This position requires some travel and reports to the Vice President of Regulatory Affairs.
Essential Responsibilities of this position include, but may not be limited to:
- Act as an intellectual leader and proactive advocate of safety and environmental stewardship for the tugboat, towboat, and barge industry.
- Develop and implement tactics to propel an AWO strategic goal of leading and supporting members in continuously improving safety and environmental stewardship.
- Convene and facilitate AWO’s Safety Leadership Advisory Panel to guide the work of the AWO Safety Committees and Subcommittees in identifying and resolving safety issues and recommending safety improvements.
- Plan and execute meetings, webinars, and other forums for engaging AWO members and safety and sustainability stakeholders and facilitating information-sharing on timely topics.
- Lead the collection and analysis of safety statistics to identify opportunities to improve the industry’s safety performance.
- Create and curate safety and sustainability tools and resources to facilitate AWO member success.
- Communicate frequently and proactively with AWO members about relevant developments in the field and in the association’s safety and environmental stewardship activities.
- Promote the development and advancement of strong safety cultures through the effective implementation of safety management systems and ensure the integrity and efficient administration of the AWO Responsible Carrier Program.
- Coordinate the proactive and effective management of partnerships with other safety-sensitive industries and safety and sustainability focused organizations.