- Category :
- Information Technology
- Full Time
- Mid Career
$90,755 Per annum. A $45,377 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Ship Communications Officer (IAM) are not eligible for recruitment incentives.
The Ship Communications Officer (SCO) Information Assurance Manager (IAM) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The SCO (IAM) is the head of the Communications Department and is responsible to the Master for all operational, administrative and maintenance functions of the Communications Department to include the ships Computer Network he/she will function as the ships Information Assurance Manager/Information Security Officer for all matters related to Cyber security.
SCO (IAM) will keep the Master informed of all capabilities, limitations and conditions of assigned equipment in compliance with current policies and instructions; and initiate actions to correct all equipment deficiencies. SCO (IAM) is responsible for proper planning, managing, and executing of all Communications Department evolutions and Communications Department roles in ship-wide functions. SCO (IAM) will manage the Command, Control, Communications, Computer (C4) systems.
The incumbent is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance and repair of electronic communications information systems and equipment aboard the ship. Responsible to provide appropriate safeguards of classified and sensitive keying material, cryptographic publications, messages, documents, equipment and related devices. Maintains close liaison with the Master and Operations Officer, staying abreast of the ship's current and future tasking. The SCO (IAM) must be cognizant of all communication annexes for current operations or missions assigned to the ship.
Maintains detailed knowledge of information found in Allied Communications Publications (ACP), Naval Warfare Publications (NWP), Naval Telecommunications Publications (NTP) and other associated communication publications.
Responsible for maintaining/operating the ships onboard Network, in the event of the loss of the CRET (IAT), until a replacement is received onboard. Responsible to the Master for ensuring all incoming and outgoing naval message traffic is processed accurately and in compliance with existing regulations.
Ensures personnel in the Communications Department are properly supervised, trained and instructed to efficiently and accurately process naval message traffic and operate equipment within the Communications Department area of responsibility (AOR).
Responsible for ensuring an aggressive Safety Program is established and maintained in the Communications Department in compliance with current policies and instructions. Coordinate with the Electrical Safety Officer (Chief Engineer) and establish a Tag-Out/Lock-out Program within the Communications Department and ensure compliance with applicable safety standards and procedures.
Responsible for all tests, inspections and routine maintenance of equipment within the Communications Departments AOR as required by policy, instruction, directive or competent authority.
Responsible for the judicious and effective use of funding for spares, consumables, and repair parts. Maintains and manages both the Communications Department Watch Bill assignments for watch personnel. Along with the work assignment for Cyber Security Network personnel (IAT’s).
This SCO (IAM) is designated as a Cyber-IT/Cybersecurity Workforce position in specialty area (System Security Analyst (461 - primary) and Information System Security Manager (722 - secondary) and as a condition of employment incumbents of the position are required to comply with the DON Cyber IT/CSWF Program requirements of SECNAV M-5239.2.
Everything in this position description is considered essential functions of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- Current Security Plus Certificate within last 3 years of announcement from an accredited test facility.
- Must have one of the following
- US Navy E7 or above (Cyber IT rating) with experience in shipboard Communications Center (i.e. Radio Central). Other branches of the Military/National Guard, experience working in shore base Communications/Cyber center or Operations Center (not a Combat Information Center (CIC)). Experience must be within the recent ten (10) years of announcement. OR
- Must have three (3) years cumulative experience sailing on MSC vessels as a permanent Ships Communications Officer (SCO), Chief Radio Electronics Technician (IAT) or temporary Ships Communications Officer (SCO). Experience must have been aboard at least two (2) ship class types, i.e. AO, AKE, EPF, etc. AND
- Current Computer Advance Security Practitioner (CASP) Certificate from an accredited test facility issued within the last 3 years from the date of this announcement.
NOTE: When submitting an application for employment, you must provide a letter from your Facility Security Officer and or Government Security Official to document Top Secret eligibility. You must have Top Secret eligibility within the last 24 months; or current active Secret clearance, or confidential security clearance eligibility, when hired for this position.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.