- Category :
- Engineer / Naval Architect
- $66,747 - $82,354 + $33,373 BONUS
- Full Time
**A $37,345 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Second Assistant Engineer are not eligible for recruitment incentives. **
The Third Assistant Engineer is a civil service mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
Monitors the safe and efficient operation of engineering machinery, equipment and spaces, enters data in logs, and reports special events in the appropriate logs. Performs routine maintenance and repair of engine room machinery and auxiliary equipment; and observes engine/fire room repairs and work being done by shipyard or other shore side facility. Incumbent must have the ability to perform assigned duties, carry out instructions safely and efficiently, and take the initiative to perform emergency duties without specific orders or instructions. Manages the cooling water treatment of main propulsion engines and auxiliary generators and any other water-cooled engineering systems. Manages potable water, testing and treatment, storage of bulk lube oil and performs routine testing of lube oils in various engineering systems. Performs machinery overhauls, dismantle machinery and equipment, effect repairs to same by replacing or fabricating components, perform subsequent reassembles, operational testing of controls, safeties, shutdowns, and place equipment in service. Participates as a lifeboat crewmember and a firefighting and emergency response team leader. Ensures that all personnel assigned to watch are aware of their duties during scheduled drills and participates in same; and ensure that an engineering casualty drill is held at least once a day. Report to the Chief and/or First Assistant Engineer.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Ensures continuing application of and compliance with EEO laws, regulations and policies. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed with the following endorsement(s):
- Third Assistant Engineer or higher – Steam, Motor, or Gas Turbine Vessels of Unlimited Horsepower.
- Able Seafarer Engine.
- STCW endorsed as: Officer in Charge of Engineering Watch (OICEW).
- A Federal EPA “UNIVERSAL” Refrigerant Handling Certificate/Card reflecting document number.