- Category :
- Engineer / Naval Architect
- Full Time
The Refrigeration Engineer is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, contested or uncontested environments.
The duties of the Refrigeration Engineer include, but are not limited to, the proper monitoring of his/her designated equipment for proper operation, maintenance and repair of all shipboard domestic refrigeration and air conditioning systems, standalone A/C package units, walk-in reefers, reach-in reefers, water fountains, refrigerant air dryer systems, air handling units, air filtration systems, and steam heating coils. He/she will be responsible to maintain proper climate control and air conditioning of ship’s habitable areas, and record and maintain proper documentation and inventory as designated by EPA and other regulatory bodies in relation to the maintenance, charging recycling, or charging procedures. He/she will be proficient in the use of hand tools, power tools, and refrigeration specific tools such as reclaiming/recycling/evacuating equipment, vacuum pump, halide leak detectors, dial-a-charge, oxy-acetylene torch or other brazing/soldering heat source, and tubing benders. He/she works under the supervision to the First Assistant Engineer, and performs other duties as assigned. Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as:
- Qualified Member of the Engine Department (QMED) Refrigeration Engineer, OR
- QMED Refrigeration Engineer/Electrician, OR
- QMED Any Engine Rating (“Any” indicates Mariner holds all five unlicensed Engine ratings).
- Licensing/Certification requirements: Must submit a current and valid Universal ODS Certificate in accordance with the Environmental Protection agency (EPA) requirements.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.