- Category :
- Superintendent / Foreman
- Full Time
- General / Operations Manager
- B.S. or B.A. or higher degree in related field plus 10 years direct experience in marine management and the operation of a seagoing vessel at sea or shoreside.
- Experience as a ship's officer and seagoing experience highly preferred.
- Background that includes experience with managing vessel ISM, acting as Designated Person Ashore, and use of NS5 maintenance system are considered key skills for this position.
- Experience in oceanographic research programs and/or UNOLS (US Academic Research Fleet) association is also a plus.
- Position may require approximately 1 month per year at sea.
This position is based at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory located in Palisades, NY (https://lamont.columbia.edu) . Reporting to the Director, Office of Marine Operations, the Marine Operations Manager is responsible for day-to-day ship operations of Columbia University’s latest research vessel, the R/V Marcus G. Langseth (https://lamont.columbia.edu/research-divisions/marine-large-programs/office-marine-operations) . This position includes responsibilities for the crew, budget, maintenance and regulatory compliance with ABS/USCG. R/V Marcus Langseth is a US-flagged vessel that is global ranging in its operations and is part of the US Academic Research Fleet under agreement with the US National Science Foundation.