Side scan sonar manufacturer Klein Marine Systems will host three days of side scan sonar training, including a one day on-water practical training, from January 29-31, in Pensacola, Fla.
The training, organized with the support of Higgs Hydrographic Tek, will help participants to develop a thorough understanding of sonar image analysis as well as hands-on experience with single beam sonar such as the dual-frequency Klein 4900.
Training topics include:
- Principles of underwater acoustics - sonar record analysis, targets and shadows, reflectivity of underwater materials, detailed target and shadow analysis, targets in the water column under the towfish
- Noise and interference - surface return, acoustic noise, electronic noise, refraction and biological noise
- Anomalies - second sweep returns, cross talk, multi-path, ringing, hyperbolas and flaring
- General sonar imagery - shipwrecks, hazardous drums, aircrafts, automobiles, fishing gear, marine structures, debris fields
- Navigation - layback and target positioning, search patterns, range/overlap, shallow water operations, small target search, crime scene/accident mapping, artificial reef surveys, drowning victims, operating sonar and MAG simultaneously, deep tows
Guest instructor Vincent Capone, M.Sc. is a side scan sonar specialist and a regular instructor at the U.S. Navy Mine Warfare Center. He has trained U.S. EPA, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, numerous law enforcement agencies, first responders and numerous military organizations. Capone has worked with the U.S. Navy Supervisor of Salvage on aircraft search and recovery OPS including the space shuttle Columbia. He planned the search for and was the operations manager for the successful recovery of Apollo 11 rocket motors from the deep ocean. Vince is a noted authority on underwater exploration as well as an ROV pilot and diver. He owns Black Laser Learning which focuses on training in marine technology and software.
Training costs $990 per student, which includes training materials, training certificate and lunch each day. Registration is required as seats are limited. For reservations contact Sales@KleinMarineSystems.com or call Carol Morrissey at +1 (603) 893-6131 Ext. 272.